SARASOTA/BRADENTON, FL – Goodwill Manasota was thrilled to learn last December that it was one of 384 nonprofits to receive multi-million-dollar gifts from philanthropist MacKenzie Scott. Goodwill is ensuring that the $10 million contribution is put to the best possible use by convening a task force of active Goodwill Board community leaders. The Board members will assist staff in the development and expansion of critical community services as well as in overseeing the investment and deployment of the funds.
Serving on Goodwill’s Gift Committee are:
During the committee’s first meeting in February, some immediate priorities were approved, including: an expansion of the Veterans and Their Families program into South County; the creation of new positions for employees with disabilities through the Supported JobsPlus program; the launch of the new Supported JobsPlus – Language program, to improve English proficiency in the region, resulting in better/sustainable employment for participants; some subsidized Goodwill Manasota Mission Development Services programs to provide additional education, training and mentoring to Goodwills across the country; the potential for additional mission services in DeSoto County to address Ms. Scott’s concern for the lack of rural services; and more.
- Xtavia Bailey: The owner of Dollar Store Mania is in her first year on Goodwill’s Board. She has extensive community service experience with organizations including Manatee County Children’s Advisory Board, United Negro College Fund, Habitat for Humanity, Take Stock in Children, and NAACP.
- Steve Boone: An attorney with Boone, Boone & Boone, P.A., he is a former Board Chair with nine years of service on the Board. He has volunteered with organizations including Boys and Girls Club of Sarasota County, Manatee Community College, Sarasota County Teen Court, Venice-Nokomis Rotary Club, and the Coalition to Support Assisted Living.
- Debbie Douglas: The retired Executive Vice President for FCCI Insurance Group has served for nine years on Goodwill’s Board. She has been involved with organizations including the Sarasota County Advisory Committee for Health & Human Services Allocation, Sarasota County Teen Court, United Way Suncoast, and volunteers with VITA, (free tax preparation).
- Rae Dowling: The Area Manager, External Affairs, for Florida Power & Light has served on Goodwill’s Board for five years. Her volunteer endeavors include service to the Chambers of Commerce Manatee and Sarasota County, United Way Suncoast, Girl Scouts, and United Way of Manatee.
- Rob Morris: The President of Certified Fleet Services is a former Chair with 10 years of service on Goodwill’s Board. Morris has been involved with the Sarasota Planning Commission, The Argus Foundation, Sarasota and Manatee Chambers of Commerce, and Church of the Redeemer.
- Brad West: The CFO of PGT Innovations, West is the current Chair with five years of service on the Board. He has been active on the leadership teams for Woodland Community Church and the Sarasota Sailing Squadron.
“When we learned about the gift from Ms. Scott, our first reaction was an overwhelming sense of responsibility to ensure we used the funds wisely to best serve our community,” said Goodwill Manasota President and CEO Bob Rosinsky. “With the leadership and guidance of our Gift Committee and input from valued community partners, we are looking forward to expanding existing programs and launching new ones where there are identified gaps. Our ultimate goal will be to combine our successful social enterprise with the $10M, to ensure that sustainable resources will be available so that our essential programs and services are available to those who need them for many years to come.”
The $10M investment came at a time when more than 10 million Americans were unemployed and urgently needed help finding their next jobs. This contribution will help Goodwill Manasota to carry out its strategic plan, as well as address programs it could not previously undertake due to a lack of resources.
For more about Goodwill, go to experiencegoodwill.org or call 941-355-2721.