Each County Commissioner will host video conference with Emergency Management Chief, Public Safety Director to relay messages for 2021 storm season
MANATEE COUNTY, FL (May 11, 2021) – For the second consecutive year Manatee County residents will have an opportunity to receive important preparation information for the 2021 Hurricane Season directly from County Commissioners and public safety experts.
Each of Manatee County's seven County Commissioners will host a video conference with Emergency Management Chief Steve Litschauer and Public Safety Director Jacob Saur beginning May 24. In addition to the seven town halls, three Manatee County cities will host similar town halls with Chief Litschauer and Director Saur. After officials relay preparation tips, lines will be open for questions from the public.
During the virtual town hall, Director Saur and Chief Litschauer will cover the following:
- Learning the strength of your home and whether it's in an evacuation zone using Manatee County's online tools for help.
- Making an evacuation plan NOW. If you're in an evacuation zone or mobile home, scout out several options where you can stay when severe weather approaches. Go tens of miles -- not hundreds -- to find a safer location to ride out the storm.
- In normal conditions public shelters can be crowded, noisy, cold and uncomfortable. If evacuation orders are given and public shelters open, they will keep you safe from the elements but there for those who come to shelters, there is no guarantee against the spread of germs and sickness. Public shelters MUST be your last resort.
The Commissioner-hosted virtual town hall series is scheduled as follows:
- District 5 Commissioner and Commission Chair Vanessa Baugh
Monday, May 24 at 6:30 p.m.
- District 1 Commissioner James Satcher
Tuesday, June 1 at 6:30 p.m.
- District 2 Commissioner Reggie Bellamy
Wednesday, June 2 at 6:30 p.m.
- District 4 Commissioner Misty Servia
Monday, June 7 at 6:30 p.m.
- At-large Commissioner Carol Whitmore
Thursday, June 10 at 6:30 p.m.
- At-large Commissioner George Kruse
Monday, June 14 at 6:30 p.m.
- District 3 Commissioner Kevin Van Ostenbridge
Tuesday, June 15 at 11 a.m.
Three additional hurricane prep virtual town halls will be hosted by municipal partners:
- City of Bradenton
Wednesday, May 19 at 5:30 p.m.
- City of Holmes Beach
Monday, May 24 at 3 p.m.
- City of Anna Maria
Wednesday, June 9 at 10 a.m.
NOTE: The video link for each meeting will be announced one day before each meeting at www.mymanatee.org/townhall
Each town hall meeting also will be available for on-demand viewing on that area of the County website for within two days of the event.
For more information on Manatee County Government, visit www.mymanatee.org or call (941) 748-4501. You can also follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/manatee.county.fl and on Twitter @ManateeGov.