Sarasota, FL - Today, conservative Florida State Senator Greg Steube, announces that he will be running for Florida's 17th U.S. Congressional District being vacated by Representative Tom Rooney. The congressional district covers 9 counties, however southern Sarasota County and Charlotte County make up over 56% of the total voters in the District.
Steube, an attorney and U.S. Army, Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran, prides himself on his conservative principles, fighting for our constitutional rights, and serving our country.
"I'm running because Washington is broken; it needs to serve the people it was intended to serve, Floridians; rather than special interests in DC," said Steube. "My entire adult life has been about service, I enlisted in the Infantry after September 11 because I wanted to serve my country in the war on terror, after service in the military I served the state of Florida in the Florida House for 6 years, and the Florida Senate for the last 2 years. As a pro-life, pro 2nd Amendment, anti-illegal immigration fighter for our constitutional rights I will proudly support Trump and his agenda in Washington and I'm proud to have the backing of Florida's law enforcement because they know they'll have my support," he added.
"As a veteran, I have an understanding of the tough issues that those who have served our country face on a day to day basis," said Steube. "We need to make sure that we provide our veterans and their families with the proper healthcare they deserve including accessible workforce training, and mental health counseling," he added.
Steube, an avid supporter of the Second Amendment and son of Former Manatee County Sheriff Brad Steube, has been working diligently to keep our students and schools safe since 2013 by filing legislation permitting trained school personnel to carry concealed weapons on public school campuses.
"We need to make a change and it needs to happen today to protect our children," added Steube. "For years I have advocated for providing extensive training for those willing to protect our children in our schools and I'm very happy that President Trump supports a program that I have advocated for years. Securing our schools, taking threats seriously, and further funding our mental health programs are absolutely necessary," he added.
As a fifth generation Floridian, Steube was born and raised in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. Steube attended the University of Florida and earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Animal Science with Honors and a minor in Agricultural Law. He earned his Juris Doctorate degree in 2003 from U.F.'s Levin College of Law. After law school, Steube enlisted in the U.S. Army and spent one year in the infantry, as a commissioned Airborne Infantry Officer and three years in the U.S. Army JAG Corps, serving as a Captain with the 25th Infantry Division in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Steube has served as the State Senator for District 23, covering Sarasota County and western Charlotte County since 2016. He previously served as a State Representative for District 73, representing those in Manatee and Sarasota counties from 2010 - 2016. He lives in Sarasota with his wife Jennifer and son, Ethan.
- Florida Senate President Joe Negron
- Florida Senate President Designate Bill Galvano
- Florida Senate Majority Leader Wilton Simpson
- Florida State Senator Kathleen Passidomo
- Florida State Senator Kelli Stargel
- Florida State Representative Carlos Trujillo
- Charlotte County Sheriff Bill Prummell
- Highlands County Sheriff Paul Blackman
- Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott
- Hardee County Sheriff Arnold Lanier
- Okeechobee County Sheriff Noel Stephen
- Glades County Sheriff David Hardin
- State Attorney Ed Brodsky, 12th Judicial Circuit
- Public Defender Larry Eger, 12th Judicial Circuit
- Sarasota County Commissioner Mike Moran
- Sarasota County Commissioner Alan Maio
- Sarasota County Commissioner Paul Caragiulo
- Sarasota County Property Appraiser Bill Furst
- Sarasota County Charter Review Board Member Jim Gabbert
- Charlotte County Commissioner Bill Truex
- Charlotte County Commissioner Joe Tiseo
- Charlotte County Commissioner Ken Doherty
- Charlotte County Clerk of the Court Roger Eaton
- Former Florida Senate President John McKay
- Former Florida Senate President Mike Haridopolos
- Former State Representative & Former Polk County Commissioner Neil Combee
- Former Sarasota County School Board Member Frank Kovach
- The Florida Police Benevolent Association
- Southwest Florida Chapter of the Florida Police Benevolent Association
- Florida Citrus Mutual
Paid for by Greg Steube for Congress.